The Ukrainian Canadian Congress – Ontario Provincial Council (UCC-OPC) is the voice of Ontario’s Ukrainian community and brings together under one umbrella Ukrainian Canadian organizations through the local UCC branches in Bradford, Hamilton, London, Niagara, Ottawa, Oshawa, Toronto and Windsor.
The UCC-OPC represents the organized Ukrainian Canadian community in Ontario before the people and Government of Ontario, promotes linkages with Ukraine and identifies and addresses the needs of the Ukrainian community in Ontario to ensure its continued existence and development for the enhancement of Canada’s socio-cultural fabric.
There are currently over 1.2 million Canadians of Ukrainian background living in Canada, and over 300,000 living in the Province of Ontario.
PURPOSES & OBJECTIVES
The purposes and objectives of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress – Ontario Provincial Council are :
- To act as an authoritative representative for the Ukrainian Canadian Community in Ontario.
- To strengthen and co-ordinate the participation of Ukrainian Canadians in Canadian social and cultural life, based on democratic principles of justice, freedom and independence.
- To promote the development of friendly and mutually beneficial relations between Canada and Ukraine.
- To support the democratic, civil, social, economic, and state development of Ukraine.
- To plan and develop among Ukrainian Canadians sound community life in all its aspects.
- To maintain, develop and enhance the Ukrainian culture and language as integral elements of the Canadian multicultural mosaic;
- To carry on and assist in efforts for the improvement of the social, economic and cultural conditions of Ukrainian Canadians, and to cooperate with other agencies in rendering assistance to Ukrainian Canadian elderly, disadvantaged, youth, and Ukrainian immigrants, and refugees.
- To promote the growth of a spirit of tolerance, understanding and goodwill between all segments of society within a multicultural Canada.To further the development of educational materials and learning opportunities on Ukrainian topics.